Jennings & Medura | Legal Guardianship
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-493,page-parent,page-child,parent-pageid-382,qode-quick-links-1.0,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode_grid_1300,footer_responsive_adv,hide_top_bar_on_mobile_header,qode-content-sidebar-responsive,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-11.0,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.1.1,vc_responsive

Legal Guardianship

Guardianship proceedings are where the court appoints an individual, called a guardian or conservator, to make legal decisions for a person.  Guardianship involves all legal decisions. Conservatorships involve finances.

For an adult:  Taking guardianship or conservatorship over an incapacitated adult is complex process often involving medical evidence.  Please contact our office to discuss your options.

For a minor:  Taking guardianship (sometimes called custody and guardianship) is where the court appoints you to care for a child, called a ward. A guardian is responsible for the care and custody of their ward and can make legal decisions as a parent can for their child.  A guardianship is not the same as an adoption.

In Utah, there are two courts that can issue custody and guardianship orders, the District Court (Probate Court) and Juvenile Court.

Guardianships can vary in complexity depending on the parent’s availability, fitness, and consent. Our attorneys would be happy to discuss your legal options with you.

Legal Guardianship Areas

Contact us:

Please wait...